Monday, May 8, 2017

Week 10


This week with Power Paws was more or less consistent with previous weeks. I sat in on a morning class and observed the dogs train in object retrieval and their ability to hold an item in their mouth for longer periods of time. Later that day, however, I observed a re-certification test with a papillon who is currently a diabetic alert dog. So far I mainly observed dogs in training in preparation for this test but this time around I got to witness the test in action. Main components of this test included loading and unloading from the car as well as leash walking, response to sudden noises and the leash being held by a stranger, and settling in a restaurant/table like setting. By going to witness this sort of test I was able to see an already placed service dog in action and the kind of difference it made in its handler’s life. A truly heartwarming sight.
This week with the FSDS was bittersweet. Since this was my last week with all the wonderful people I have met on this journey, this past week involved a lot of wrapping up. Both classes followed the usual schedule and involved review on a lot of the same tasks as in previous week including, but not limited to, it’s your choice, go get help, and leave it. The trainer also discussed with the class the concept of the illusion of a behavior. In other words, ensuring that dogs understand the behavior they are asked to perform, rather than just performing it correctly because of aid from the trainer. For example, when asking a dog to retrieve an item, one should not have to point to an item to ensure the success of the dog. The dog should understand what it is asked to perform and follow through with the action without additional cues.

This past week, final project presentations were given and I am sad to say that this experience is over. I can, however, say with complete confidence that Power Paws has not seen the last of me. J I spoke with my adviser and I will continue going back to help out with training and around the office. The senior project may be over, but my time with helping out with service dogs is not. The experiences at these internships will be ones that I will hold close to my heart in many years to come. Not only did I spend time with my favorite dog breeds of all time, I also got to lend a helping hand to raising a man's best friend...and helper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment